EXCROSSEXploiting safety results aCROSS transportation modes
EXCROSS is a Supporting Action of the European Commission to enhance crossfertilization and synergies between safety research initiatives in the different transport modes (e.g. road transportation, aviation, etc.). EXCROSS addresses the fragmentation that exists in Europe between safety initiatives in the different transport modes, with little crossdomain learning and sharing of experience. In particular, the objectives of this SA are:
1. Identify synergies and opportunities for cross fertilization between different transport modes;
2. Identify research gaps common to the different transport modes, to exploit synergies and remove discrepancies.
The activities will be organised around the following main streams:
1. Establish a common understanding of safety principles across the different transportation modes, by identifying tacit assumptions and making underlying principles explicit;
2. Collection, selection and analysis of past research actions dealing with safety;
3. Identification of the main stakeholders and preparation and dissemination of information tailored for their needs.
The EXCROSS consortium includes organisations from the four main modes of transportations (road, maritime, railways, aviation) with a solid background and large experience in the participation to safety research initiatives.
The project will interact with a Steering Committee to maximise the research relevance for all the stakeholders. At the present time (beginning of 2012), the following agencies have already accepted to join the Steering Committee: European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), The European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation (EUROCONTROL), US Federal Aviation Administration, The Forum of European Road Safety Research Institutes (FERSI), The World Road Association (PIARC), The Research Association for Underground Transportation Facilities (STUVA), Integrated Safety Network (ISN) Virtual Centre of Excellence, The French institute of science and technology for transport, development and networks (IFSTTAR), Institute of Transport Economics (TOI), The Nordic Railway Association (NJS), Lloyd's Register.
Deep Blue Role:
Coordinator and responsible for dissemination.